Ellie Vilendrer is a top-rated corporate attorney (AV-rated on Martindale Hubbell, Super Lawyers Rising Star, rated 10/10 on Avvo, and Up-And-Coming-Attorney). As a co-founder of an award-winning high-tech company, she has a deep understanding of business and technology from the inside out.
She is frequently invited to speak for national audiences on the topics of contracts and negotiation strategy. Demonstrating she can put theory to practice, Ms. Vilendrer achieved the best outcome in a negotiation competition among 60 professional negotiators from around the world in 2015.
She is a Qualified Neutral under Rule 114, Minnesota General Rules of Practice. As a mediator, she draws from many years of experience as a successful civil and business litigator and trial lawyer. Representing both plaintiffs and defendants, she has helped her clients obtain and save millions of dollars through negotiated settlements and court verdicts. Some of her successes include obtaining a jury verdict and grant of punitive damages by unanimous decision of an 11- member jury, representing a plaintiff in a breach of contract and fraud case; and obtaining summary dismissal of her defendant client in a complex multi-million dollar class-action lawsuit alleging breach of fiduciary duties. Her litigation experience is unique among corporate lawyers and gives her valuable insight in helping her clients mitigate risk.
Ellie Vilendrer always strives to create value, strengthen relationships, and optimize outcomes, whether it be by helping her clients negotiate a strategic partnership or resolve conflict. Ms. Vilendrer is licensed to practice law in Minnesota and California. Featured in The Hennepin Lawyer magazine, you can learn more about her here: The Hennepin Lawyer.
- Represented biological sciences company in its acquisition by manufacturing company.
- Represented medical device testing company in its acquisition by materials testing company.
- Represented shareholder in acquisition of wholesale seller of industrial grade concrete grinding and polishing equipment by manufacturer and distributor of pneumatic and power tools.
Commercial Dispute Resolution
- Represented majority interest holder (defendant) of gaming company in dispute over intellectual property ownership; negotiated dismissal of claims.
- Negotiated amicable dissolution and buy-out of business consulting partnership.
- Represented member in LLC dispute; Negotiated amicable dissolution and buy-out of production company.
- Represented employer in dispute for unpaid wages; resulting in employee dropping claims.
- Represented marketing company against trademark infringement claims; obtained settlement payment from claimant.
Commercial Litigation & Trials
- Represented contractor (plaintiff) in lawsuit for breach of contract, breach of oral guarantee, and fraud; obtained unanimous verdict by 11-member jury in client’s favor on all counts, and entitlement to costs and punitive damages.
- Obtained summary dismissal of defendant client in a complex multi-million dollar class-action lawsuit alleging breach of fiduciary duties
- Represented insured (plaintiff) in lawsuit against insurance company; negotiated $1 million settlement for client on eve of trial.
- Represented testing company in breach of contract dispute with customer; negotiated settlement.
Certificate, Harvard Law School (2015)
- Advanced Negotiation Master Class (Executive Education at Program on Negotiation)
Juris Doctor, Brigham Young University, J. Reuben Clark Law School (2007)
- UCLA School of Law visiting student
- Research Assistant, Business Associations
- Education Chair, International Human Rights Association
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, University of Southern California (2004)
- Emphasis in Corporate Finance
- Track & Cross-Country team member
- USC Representative to PAC-10 student-athlete conference
- Chess Club member
Bachelor of Arts in French, University of Southern California (2004)
- Pi Delta Phi, National French Honor Society member
- Diploma of Business French I, Chamber of Commerce & Industry of Paris
- Certificate of Professional French, Chamber of Commerce & Industry of Paris
- Study Abroad, Université de la Sorbonne
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- Qualified Neutral, Rule 114 Minnesota General Rules of Practice
Professional working proficiency in Persian and French
- Invited National Presenter, Essential Negotiation Strategies to Optimize Outcomes, (Clear Law Institute, February 14, 2017)
- Invited National Presenter, Become a Better Negotiator in 60 Minutes, (American Law Institute, November 16, 2015)
- National Presenter, Negotiating by Persuasion: The Art of Deal Making (Legal Expert Series: Advancing and Protecting Your Business, October 15, 2014)
- Invited National Presenter, Negotiating by Persuasion: The Art and Ethics of Deal Making (Commercial Law Web Advisor, April 8, 2014)
- Written Materials, Allina Medical Staff Leader Training (September 12, 2012)
- Invited Presenter, Mock Trial: Minnesota Society for Healthcare Risk Management Spring Seminar (June 3, 2011)
- Invited National Presenter, What Every Software Developer Should Know Before Entering Into a Contract: 360 Flex (March 8, 2010)
- Presenter, What Every Software Developer Should Know Before Entering Into a Contract: Los Angeles Flash (January 20, 2010)
- Presenter, What Every Software Developer Should Know Before Entering Into a Contract: Orange County Flex (December 3, 2009)
- Presenter, What Every Multimedia Professional Should Know Before Entering Into a Contract: Orange County Multimedia Association (November 17, 2009)
- How to Negotiate Effectively: Avvo (2009)
- How to Win a Negotiation: Corporate Counsel (June 19, 2013)
- How to Win a Negotiation: The Legal Intelligencer (June 26, 2013)
- How to Win a Negotiation: ACQ Magazine (June 23, 2013)
- How to Win a Negotiation: Texas Lawyer (June 20, 2013)
- How to Win a Negotiation: LawSpirit.com (June 2013)
- A Year in Review, Appellate Court Allows Claims for Breach of the Implied Covenant of Good Faith and Breach of Contract Based on the Same Conduct: Bassford Bulletin, Insurance Coverage (January 28, 2013)
- Essential Provisions in Employee Handbooks: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Non-Compete and Non-Solicitation Agreements: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Distinguishing Between an Employee and an Independent Contractor: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Protecting Your Brand: What CEOs Need to Know About Trademark Law: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- A Primer on Copyright Law: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Increase the Value of Your Business by Protecting Your Trade Secrets: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Introducing Minnesota’s New Public Benefit Corporation: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Distinctions Between California Entities and Implications of Choice: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- The Five Main Causes of Conflict and How Mediation Can Resolve Them: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- An Introduction to Securities Law: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Registering an Assumed Name: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Starting a Business in Minnesota, Choosing a Form to Maximize Value: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- An Introduction to Business Taxes: Linkedin Pulse (March 13, 2015)
- The Basics of Business Insurance: Protecting Your Business from Liability, Loss, and Litigation: Linkedin Pulse (March 13, 2015)
- Four Surprising Strategies to Optimize Business Outcomes: Linkedin Pulse (March 18, 2015)
- What Every Entrepreneur Should Know About Contracts for Sales of Goods: Linkedin Pulse (July 16, 2015)
- Board Governance Best Practices: Linkedin Pulse (July 29, 2015)
- Making Ethical Decisions: Why Businesses Should Avoid Taking Short Cuts: Linkedin Pulse (October 12, 2015)
- Year-End Business Checklist: Linkedin Pulse (December 15, 2015)
- The Three Best Strategies to Prevent Conflict at Your Holiday Gathering: Linkedin Pulse (December 18, 2015)
- The Most Important Lesson I Learned as a Litigator: Linkedin Pulse (December 21, 2015)
- AV Preeminent® rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell
- 2017 Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Star
- 2016 Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Star
- 2016 Southern California Up-And-Coming Woman Attorney, Los Angeles Magazine
- Avvo: 2015 Top Attorney, rated 10/10
- Avvo: 2015 Client’s Choice
- Avvo: 2014 Top Attorney
- Avvo: 2013 Top Contributor
- Avvo: 2012 Client’s Choice
- 2016 Minnesota Cup High-Tech division Semifinalist
- American Law and Economics Association
- Society for Judgment and Decision Making
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Business Law Section
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Alternative Dispute Resolution Section
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Computer & Technology Law Section
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Labor & Employment Law Section
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Tax Law
- California State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Conflict Resolution Minnesota
- USC Alumni Association
- UCLA Alumni Association
- Bruin Professionals
- J. Reuben Clark Law Society
- BYU Alumni Association
- BYU Management Society
Community/Pro Bono Activities
- Society for Judgment and Decision Making, poster judge (2016)
- Minnesota Closely Held Business Conference, volunteer planning committee member (2015)
- Minnesota Board of Law Examiners, bar exam essay grader (2014)
- Community Mediation and Restorative Services, Inc., volunteer mediator (2013 – Present)
- American Bar Association Law School Regional Negotiations Competition, volunteer judge (2013)
- Tubman Family Alliance, Pro Bono Safety Project, volunteer attorney (2011-2013)
- Volunteer Lawyers Network, Conciliation Court Clinic, volunteer attorney (2011-2013)
- Orange County Bar Association/KOCE Call-a-Lawyer community event, volunteer attorney (2009)