Ellie K. Vilendrer
Ellie Vilendrer is a creative problem-solver with a distinguished ability to optimize outcomes and build relationships.
She has extensive experience serving healthcare, software, and technology companies, ranging from start-up to publicly-traded, in roles including outside general counsel, intellectual property counsel, and privacy counsel. She is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) and is co-author of the privacy law chapter in the Representing the Ongoing Business Deskbook, 3rd Edition (2020, Minnestoa CLE).
Ms. Vilendrer is Co-Chair of the Early Dispute Resolution Committee of the American Bar Association’s Dispute Resolution Section. She is a Qualified Neutral, Rule 114 Minnesota General Rules of Practice, and serves as a FINRA Arbitrator as well as a mediator on several panels. Ellie Vilendrer is adept at understanding complex legal and financial issues and relationship dynamics to resolve high conflict. Demonstrating she can put theory to practice, Ms. Vilendrer achieved the best outcome in a scored negotiation among 60 professional negotiators from around the world in 2015. A diverse mediator, she draws from many years of experience as a successful civil and business litigator.
Her family’s award-winning short film promoting peace, Nurturing the Seeds of Peace, was broadcasted at the United Nations in New York on November 6, 2019, and was also an Official Selection featured at the International Peace & Film Festival in January 2020. Her family’s short film on human rights, Justice for All, was broadcasted at the United Nations on December 15, 2020, in celebration of the UN’s 75th anniversary.
Acquisitions & Notable Transactional Representations
- Served as Privacy Counsel to publicly traded medical company.
- Served as Trademark Counsel to publicly traded biotech company.
- Served as outside General Counsel to numerous technology companies.
- Represented biological sciences company in its acquisition by manufacturing company.
- Represented medical device testing company in its acquisition by materials testing company.
- Represented shareholder in contested sale of his industrial grade concrete grinding and polishing equipment company.
Commercial Dispute Resolution
- Successfully represented Malaysia-based app development company in international licensing dispute.
- Advised Lebanon-based distributor of medical products in international breach of contract dispute.
- Represented majority interest holder of gaming company in dispute over intellectual property ownership; negotiated dismissal of claims.
- Negotiated amicable dissolution and buy-out of business consulting partnership.
- Represented member in LLC dispute; Negotiated amicable dissolution and buy-out of production company.
- Represented employer in dispute for unpaid wages; resulting in employee dropping claims.
- Represented marketing company against trademark infringement claims; obtained settlement payment from claimant.
Commercial Litigation & Trials
- Represented Dubai-based distribution companies in multi-million dollar international commercial dispute filed at London Court of International Arbitration.
- Represented Plaintiff in lawsuit for breach of contract, breach of oral guarantee, and fraud; obtained unanimous verdict by 11-member jury in client’s favor on all counts, and entitlement to costs and punitive damages.
- Represented employee against current employer for claim of unpaid sales commissions. Recovered nearly half a million dollars, consisting of 97% of requested commissions, plus payment of attorneys’ fees.
- Obtained summary dismissal of defendant client in a complex multi-million dollar class-action lawsuit alleging breach of fiduciary duties.
- Represented insured in lawsuit against insurance company; obtained payment of $1 million for medical bills.
- Obtained court-ordered removal of Personal Representative of estate, on behalf of beneficiaries, for fraud and estate theft, which led to subsequent criminal conviction and order to pay restitution of over $400,000.
- Successfully represented minority interest holder in LLC dispute with other members of medical device company.
Juris Doctor, Brigham Young University, J. Reuben Clark Law School (2007)
UCLA School of Law visiting student
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Concentration in Corporate Finance, University of Southern California (2004)
Bachelor of Arts in French, University of Southern California (2004)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- Qualified Neutral, Rule 114 Minnesota General Rules of Practice
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US), International Association of Privacy Professionals (2020 – Present)
- Carlson School of Management Executive Education, Certificate, Power & Influence (2021)
- Certificate, Advanced Negotiation Master Class (Executive Education at Program on Negotiation, Harvard Law School (2015)
Professional working proficiency in Persian and French
- Presenter, Effective Apologies (Early Dispute Resolution Committee of the American Bar Association’s Dispute Resolution Section, December 1, 2020)
- Invited Panelist, Achieving Gender Parity in Tech (OC Tech Happy Hour, March 19, 2019)
- Invited Guest Lecturer, Advising the Start-up Entrepreneur (Corporate Institute at University of Minnesota School of Law, November 1, 2017)
- Invited TV Talk Show Guest, Entrepreneurship & Corporate Law (Law Talk, July 18, 2017)
- Invited International Radio Show Guest, Entrepreneurship, Corporate Law, & Dispute Resolution (Johnny Mandolin Show, June 5, 2017)
- Invited National Presenter, Essential Negotiation Strategies to Optimize Outcomes (Clear Law Institute, February 14, 2017)
- Invited National Presenter, Become a Better Negotiator in 60 Minutes (American Law Institute, November 16, 2015)
- National Presenter, Negotiating by Persuasion: The Art of Deal Making (Legal Expert Series: Advancing and Protecting Your Business, October 15, 2014)
- Invited National Presenter, Negotiating by Persuasion: The Art and Ethics of Deal Making (Commercial Law Web Advisor, April 8, 2014)
- Written Materials, Allina Medical Staff Leader Training (September 12, 2012)
- Invited Presenter, Mock Trial: Minnesota Society for Healthcare Risk Management Spring Seminar (June 3, 2011)
- Invited National Presenter, What Every Software Developer Should Know Before Entering Into a Contract: 360 Flex (March 8, 2010)
- Presenter, What Every Software Developer Should Know Before Entering Into a Contract: Los Angeles Flash (January 20, 2010)
- Presenter, What Every Software Developer Should Know Before Entering Into a Contract: Orange County Flex (December 3, 2009)
- Presenter, What Every Multimedia Professional Should Know Before Entering Into a Contract: Orange County Multimedia Association (November 17, 2009)
- How to Negotiate Effectively: Avvo (2009)
- How to Win a Negotiation: Corporate Counsel (June 19, 2013)
- How to Win a Negotiation: The Legal Intelligencer (June 26, 2013)
- How to Win a Negotiation: ACQ Magazine (June 23, 2013)
- How to Win a Negotiation: Texas Lawyer (June 20, 2013)
- How to Win a Negotiation: LawSpirit.com (June 2013)
- A Year in Review, Appellate Court Allows Claims for Breach of the Implied Covenant of Good Faith and Breach of Contract Based on the Same Conduct: Bassford Bulletin, Insurance Coverage (January 28, 2013)
- Essential Provisions in Employee Handbooks: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Non-Compete and Non-Solicitation Agreements: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Distinguishing Between an Employee and an Independent Contractor: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Protecting Your Brand: What CEOs Need to Know About Trademark Law: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- A Primer on Copyright Law: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Increase the Value of Your Business by Protecting Your Trade Secrets: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Introducing Minnesota’s New Public Benefit Corporation: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Distinctions Between California Entities and Implications of Choice: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- The Five Main Causes of Conflict and How Mediation Can Resolve Them: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- An Introduction to Securities Law: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Registering an Assumed Name: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Starting a Business in Minnesota, Choosing a Form to Maximize Value: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- An Introduction to Business Taxes: Linkedin Pulse (March 13, 2015)
- The Basics of Business Insurance: Protecting Your Business from Liability, Loss, and Litigation: Linkedin Pulse (March 13, 2015)
- Four Surprising Strategies to Optimize Business Outcomes: Linkedin Pulse (March 18, 2015)
- What Every Entrepreneur Should Know About Contracts for Sales of Goods: Linkedin Pulse (July 16, 2015)
- Board Governance Best Practices: Linkedin Pulse (July 29, 2015)
- Making Ethical Decisions: Why Businesses Should Avoid Taking Short Cuts: Linkedin Pulse (October 12, 2015)
- Year-End Business Checklist: Linkedin Pulse (December 15, 2015)
- The Three Best Strategies to Prevent Conflict at Your Holiday Gathering: Linkedin Pulse (December 18, 2015)
- The Most Important Lesson I Learned as a Litigator: Linkedin Pulse (December 21, 2015)
- Minnesota Revised Uniform Limited Liability Company Act Makes Significant Changes to Minnesota LLC Law: Linkedin Pulse (October 24, 2017)
- Co-Author of Privacy Law Primer (chapter in Representing the Ongoing Business Deskbook, 3rd Edition): Minnestoa CLE (2019)
- Lawsuits Against Website Owners Over Disability Discrimination Skyrocket: Linkedin Pulse (April 5, 2019)
- Nurturing Business Relationships in the Covid–19 Era: Linkedin Pulse (April 2020)
- Mediation, a Superior Dispute Resolution Mechanism: Linkedin Pulse (April 2020)
- International Commercial Mediation: Linkedin Pulse (April 2020)
- The Model Standards of Conduct for Mediators: Linkedin Pulse (April 2020)
- Mediator Diversity: Vilendrer Law, PC (April 2020)
- The Importance of Mediation Skills: Vilendrer Law, PC (April 2020)
- AV Preeminent® rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell (2015-Present)
- Up-And-Coming 25 (top-ranked among the Southern California Rising Stars), Super Lawyers (2021)
- Who’s Who in America; Marquis Who’s Who (2021)
- Award-winning short film; Peace in the Streets Global Film Festival (2020)
- Award-winning short film; Peace in the Streets Global Film Festival (2019) and International Peace & Film Festival Official Selection (2020)
- Top Rated Litigators, Legal Leaders (2020, 2021)
- Top Attorney, The Top 100 Magazine (2020)
- Women in Law Award – Labor & Employment, Lawyer Monthly Magazine (2020)
- Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Star (2016 – 2021)
- Top Women Attorneys in Southern California, Los Angeles Magazine (2017, 2018, 2021)
- Woman Leader in the Law, ALM (2018, 2019)
- The West Coast’s Top Rated Lawyers, ALM (2018)
- 35 and Under Young Entrepreneurs, Minnesota Business Magazine (2017)
- Minnesota Cup High-Tech division Semifinalist (2016)
- Southern California Up-And-Coming Woman Attorney, Los Angeles Magazine (2016)
- Avvo: Top Attorney (2014, 2015)
- Avvo: Client’s Choice (2012, 2015)
- Avvo: Top Contributor (2013)
- Co-Chair of Early Dispute Resolution Committee of American Bar Association’s Dispute Resolution Section
- American Law and Economics Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Society for Judgment and Decision Making
- Orange County Bar Association: ADR, Intellectual Property, Business Litigation, Labor & Employment, and International Law sections
- Minnesota State Bar Association: Business Law Section, ADR, Computer & Technology, Labor & Employment sections
- USC Alumni Association
- UCLA Alumni Association
- J. Reuben Clark Law Society
- BYU Alumni Association
Community/Pro Bono Activities
- Minnesota Department of Human Rights, mediator (2020 – Present)
- Mediation And Restorative Services, mediator (2020 – Present)
- Minority Women Lawyers Association, leader (2012 – Present)
- EES School Site Council President (2019-2020)
- Society for Judgment and Decision Making, poster judge (2016)
- Minnesota Closely Held Business Conference, planning committee member (2015)
- Minnesota Board of Law Examiners, bar exam essay grader (2014)
- Community Mediation and Restorative Services, Inc., mediator (2013 – Present)
- American Bar Association Law School Regional Negotiations Competition, judge (2013)
- Tubman Family Alliance, Pro Bono Safety Project, attorney (2011-2013)
- Volunteer Lawyers Network, Conciliation Court Clinic, attorney (2011-2013)
- Orange County Bar Association/KOCE Call-a-Lawyer community event, attorney (2009)