Ellie K. Vilendrer
Ellie Vilendrer has extensive experience in corporate, intellectual property, and data privacy matters. She is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) and is co-author of the privacy law chapter in the Representing the Ongoing Business Deskbook, 3rd Edition (2019, Minnesota CLE).
Ms. Vilendrer is Co-Chair of the Early Dispute Resolution Committee of the American Bar Association’s Dispute Resolution Section. She is a Qualified Neutral, Rule 114 Minnesota General Rules of Practice, and serves as a neutral on several panels. She has spent hundreds of hours studying and training in the field of negotiations and mediation, including executive training at Harvard. Demonstrating she can put theory to practice, Ms. Vilendrer achieved the best outcome in a scored negotiation among 60 professional negotiators from around the world in 2015. A diverse mediator, she draws from many years of experience as a successful civil and business litigator.
Her family’s award-winning short film promoting peace, Nurturing the Seeds of Peace, was broadcasted at the United Nations in New York on November 6, 2019, and was also an Official Selection featured at the International Peace & Film Festival in January 2020. Her family’s short film on human rights, Justice for All, was broadcasted at the United Nations on December 15, 2020, in celebration of the UN’s 75th anniversary.
Acquisitions & Notable Transactional Representations
- Served as Intellectual Property counsel to publicly-traded medical tech company.
- Represented biological sciences company in its acquisition by manufacturing company.
- Represented medical device testing company in its acquisition by materials testing company.
- Represented shareholder in contested sale of his industrial grade concrete grinding and polishing equipment company.
Commercial Dispute Resolution
- Successfully represented Malaysia-based app development company in international licensing dispute.
- Advised Lebanon-based distributor of medical products in international breach of contract dispute to successful resolution.
- Represented majority interest holder (defendant) of gaming company in dispute over intellectual property ownership; negotiated dismissal of claims.
- Negotiated amicable dissolution and buy-out of business consulting partnership.
- Represented member in LLC dispute; Negotiated amicable dissolution and buy-out of production company.
- Represented employer in dispute for unpaid wages; resulting in employee dropping claims.
- Represented marketing company against trademark infringement claims; obtained settlement payment from claimant.
Commercial Litigation & Trials
- Represented Dubai-based distribution companies in multi-million dollar international commercial dispute. Litigated at London Court of International Arbitration. Obtained payment of damages through negotiated settlement.
- Represented contractor (plaintiff) in lawsuit for breach of contract, breach of oral guarantee, and fraud; obtained unanimous verdict by 11-member jury in client’s favor on all counts, and entitlement to costs and punitive damages.
- Represented employee against current employer for claim of unpaid sales commissions. Recovered nearly half a million dollars, consisting of 97% of requested commissions, plus payment of attorneys’ fees, through early settlement.
- Obtained summary dismissal of defendant client in a complex multi-million dollar class-action lawsuit alleging breach of fiduciary duties.
- Represented insured (plaintiff) in lawsuit against insurance company; negotiated 7-figure settlement for client.
- Represented testing company in breach of contract dispute with customer; negotiated settlement.
- Successfully represented minority interest holder in LLC dispute with other members of medical device company.
Certificate, Harvard Law School (2015)
- Advanced Negotiation Master Class (Executive Education at Program on Negotiation)
Juris Doctor, Brigham Young University, J. Reuben Clark Law School (2007)
- UCLA School of Law visiting student
- Research Assistant, Business Associations
- Education Chair, International Human Rights Association
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, University of Southern California (2004)
- Concentration in Corporate Finance
- Track & Cross-Country team member
- USC Representative to PAC-10 student-athlete conference
- Chess Club member
Bachelor of Arts in French, University of Southern California (2004)
- Pi Delta Phi, National French Honor Society member
- Diploma of Business French I, Chamber of Commerce & Industry of Paris
- Certificate of Professional French, Chamber of Commerce & Industry of Paris
- Study Abroad, Université de la Sorbonne
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- Qualified Neutral, Rule 114 Minnesota General Rules of Practice
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States, International Association of Privacy Professionals
Professional working proficiency in Persian and French
- Presenter, Effective Apologies (Early Dispute Resolution Committee of the American Bar Association’s Dispute Resolution Section, December 1, 2020)
- Invited Panelist, Achieving Gender Parity in Tech (OC Tech Happy Hour, March 19, 2019)
- Invited Guest Lecturer, Advising the Start-up Entrepreneur (Corporate Institute at University of Minnesota School of Law, November 1, 2017)
- Invited TV Talk Show Guest, Entrepreneurship & Corporate Law (Law Talk, July 18, 2017)
- Invited International Radio Show Guest, Entrepreneurship, Corporate Law, & Dispute Resolution (Johnny Mandolin Show, June 5, 2017)
- Invited National Presenter, Essential Negotiation Strategies to Optimize Outcomes (Clear Law Institute, February 14, 2017)
- Invited National Presenter, Become a Better Negotiator in 60 Minutes (American Law Institute, November 16, 2015)
- National Presenter, Negotiating by Persuasion: The Art of Deal Making (Legal Expert Series: Advancing and Protecting Your Business, October 15, 2014)
- Invited National Presenter, Negotiating by Persuasion: The Art and Ethics of Deal Making (Commercial Law Web Advisor, April 8, 2014)
- Written Materials, Allina Medical Staff Leader Training (September 12, 2012)
- Invited Presenter, Mock Trial: Minnesota Society for Healthcare Risk Management Spring Seminar (June 3, 2011)
- Invited National Presenter, What Every Software Developer Should Know Before Entering Into a Contract: 360 Flex (March 8, 2010)
- Presenter, What Every Software Developer Should Know Before Entering Into a Contract: Los Angeles Flash (January 20, 2010)
- Presenter, What Every Software Developer Should Know Before Entering Into a Contract: Orange County Flex (December 3, 2009)
- Presenter, What Every Multimedia Professional Should Know Before Entering Into a Contract: Orange County Multimedia Association (November 17, 2009)
- How to Negotiate Effectively: Avvo (2009)
- How to Win a Negotiation: Corporate Counsel (June 19, 2013)
- How to Win a Negotiation: The Legal Intelligencer (June 26, 2013)
- How to Win a Negotiation: ACQ Magazine (June 23, 2013)
- How to Win a Negotiation: Texas Lawyer (June 20, 2013)
- How to Win a Negotiation: LawSpirit.com (June 2013)
- A Year in Review, Appellate Court Allows Claims for Breach of the Implied Covenant of Good Faith and Breach of Contract Based on the Same Conduct: Bassford Bulletin, Insurance Coverage (January 28, 2013)
- Essential Provisions in Employee Handbooks: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Non-Compete and Non-Solicitation Agreements: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Distinguishing Between an Employee and an Independent Contractor: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Protecting Your Brand: What CEOs Need to Know About Trademark Law: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- A Primer on Copyright Law: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Increase the Value of Your Business by Protecting Your Trade Secrets: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Introducing Minnesota’s New Public Benefit Corporation: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Distinctions Between California Entities and Implications of Choice: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- The Five Main Causes of Conflict and How Mediation Can Resolve Them: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- An Introduction to Securities Law: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Registering an Assumed Name: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- Starting a Business in Minnesota, Choosing a Form to Maximize Value: Linkedin Pulse (February 23, 2015)
- An Introduction to Business Taxes: Linkedin Pulse (March 13, 2015)
- The Basics of Business Insurance: Protecting Your Business from Liability, Loss, and Litigation: Linkedin Pulse (March 13, 2015)
- Four Surprising Strategies to Optimize Business Outcomes: Linkedin Pulse (March 18, 2015)
- What Every Entrepreneur Should Know About Contracts for Sales of Goods: Linkedin Pulse (July 16, 2015)
- Board Governance Best Practices: Linkedin Pulse (July 29, 2015)
- Making Ethical Decisions: Why Businesses Should Avoid Taking Short Cuts: Linkedin Pulse (October 12, 2015)
- Year-End Business Checklist: Linkedin Pulse (December 15, 2015)
- The Three Best Strategies to Prevent Conflict at Your Holiday Gathering: Linkedin Pulse (December 18, 2015)
- The Most Important Lesson I Learned as a Litigator: Linkedin Pulse (December 21, 2015)
- Minnesota Revised Uniform Limited Liability Company Act Makes Significant Changes to Minnesota LLC Law: Linkedin Pulse (October 24, 2017)
- Co-Author of Privacy Law Primer (chapter in Representing the Ongoing Business Deskbook, 3rd Edition): Minnestoa CLE (2019)
- Lawsuits Against Website Owners Over Disability Discrimination Skyrocket: Linkedin Pulse (April 5, 2019)
- Nurturing Business Relationships in the Covid–19 Era: Linkedin Pulse (April 2020)
- Mediation, a Superior Dispute Resolution Mechanism: Linkedin Pulse (April 2020)
- International Commercial Mediation: Linkedin Pulse (April 2020)
- The Model Standards of Conduct for Mediators: Linkedin Pulse (April 2020)
- Mediator Diversity: Vilendrer Law, PC (April 2020)
- The Importance of Mediation Skills: Vilendrer Law, PC (April 2020)
- Award-winning short film; Peace in the Streets Global Film Festival (2020)
- Award-winning short film; Peace in the Streets Global Film Festival (2019) and International Peace & Film Festival Official Selection (2020)
- AV Preeminent® rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell
- The West Coast’s Top Rated lawyers, ALM (2018)
- Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Star (2016 – 2021)
- Top Attorney, The Top 100 Magazine (2020)
- Top Rated Litigators, Legal Leaders (2020)
- Women in Law Award – Labor & Employment, Lawyer Monthly Magazine (2020)
- Top Women Attorneys in Southern California, Los Angeles Magazine (2017, 2018)
- Woman Leader in the Law, ALM (2018, 2019)
- 35 and Under Young Entrepreneurs, Minnesota Business Magazine (2017)
- Minnesota Cup High-Tech division Semifinalist (2016)
- Southern California Up-And-Coming Woman Attorney, Los Angeles Magazine (2016)
- Avvo: Top Attorney (2014, 2015)
- Avvo: Client’s Choice (2012, 2015)
- Avvo: Top Contributor (2013)
- Co-Chair of Early Dispute Resolution Committee of American Bar Association’s Dispute Resolution Section
- American Law and Economics Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Society for Judgment and Decision Making
- Orange County Bar Association: ADR, Intellectual Property, Business Litigation, Labor & Employment, and International Law sections
- Minnesota State Bar Association: Business Law Section, ADR, Computer & Technology, Labor & Employment sections
- USC Alumni Association
- UCLA Alumni Association
- J. Reuben Clark Law Society
- BYU Alumni Association
Community/Pro Bono Activities
- Minnesota Department of Human Rights, mediator (2020 – Present)
- Mediation And Restorative Services, mediator (2020 – Present)
- Minority Women Lawyers Association, leader (2012 – Present)
- EES School Site Council President (2019-2020)
- Society for Judgment and Decision Making, poster judge (2016)
- Minnesota Closely Held Business Conference, planning committee member (2015)
- Minnesota Board of Law Examiners, bar exam essay grader (2014)
- Community Mediation and Restorative Services, Inc., mediator (2013 – Present)
- American Bar Association Law School Regional Negotiations Competition, judge (2013)
- Tubman Family Alliance, Pro Bono Safety Project, attorney (2011-2013)
- Volunteer Lawyers Network, Conciliation Court Clinic, attorney (2011-2013)
- Orange County Bar Association/KOCE Call-a-Lawyer community event, attorney (2009)